This is not your father’s internet. Today’s cyber real estate comes at a premium, and if you’re not focusing the right energy on your inbound marketing efforts, you’re losing customers to your online neighbors before they even know your address. That being said, if you want the search engines to send visitors your way, you need to focus on proper keyword research.
Not sure how?
Check out these keyword research tips to help you produce killer keywords.
Understanding How Keyword Research Is Part of Your Inbound Marketing Strategy
Don’t be fooled into thinking that choosing keywords is a simple and intuitive task; perfect phrases don’t fall from the sky. In fact, like most other parts of a proper marketing plan, data analytics will lead you to the most effective word combinations.
Finding the right keywords is a delicate dance of finding:
- Phrases that are highly searched but still unique enough to stand out against your competitors;
- Keywords that flow fluidly and conversationally within your content;
- Words that make sense for the people who are searching for them–if you send people your way with keywords that don’t make sense, your bounce rate will skyrocket.
Armed with this knowledge, you’re ready to begin. Your SEO arsenal will be fully equipped when you walk through this checklist:
- Brainstorm. Make a list of the words you use when you talk about what you do. Think about what you believe your customers are looking for when they seek the help of search engines, and write down any words that come to mind.
- Search for Yourself. Open a browser, and start searching for your brainstormed list of words. Search engines will automatically ask you if you’re looking for some of the most popularly searched words. Add these phrases to your list when they’re relevant.
- Do the Numbers. There are tons of analytics tools available in cyberspace these days. Find one or two that make sense to you, and start working the math.
The key to keyword research is finding words that are useful, actionable, and unique enough to trump your competitors in valuable cyber real estate.